CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. (Oct. 9, 2020) – The CARES Act individual assistance application deadline is Oct. 31.
Charlotte CARES offers individual financial assistance to residents who have suffered financial crisis due to COVID-19. The Community Organizations Active in Disaster has been offering online access to assistance with rent, mortgage, utilities and other needs since March 17, 2020 with Charlotte County Human Services processing applications submitted through the COAD website www.coadfl.org and the Gulf Coast Partnership assisting with unmet needs.
Eligible Charlotte CARES applicants can receive a maximum of: $3,000 toward rent or mortgage; up to $1,000 toward utilities; and up to $1,000 in dependent care assistance. Residents who previously received assistance through the COAD financial assistance program may be contacted about receiving additional assistance up to those maximum amounts or can be proactive and reach out to Human Services to inquire. Reapplication is not required. Receiving Charlotte CARES assistance does not preclude a recipient from eligibility for other Human Services programs.
Access to assistance will continue to be available online through the COAD website, but several local non-profit and community organizations are coming together to help get those funds to individuals and families in need. Residents can now apply either online at www.coadfl.org or in person at the following locations:
- Boys and Girls Club Port Charlotte – services to parents of enrolled youth; others by appointment o Monday through Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Family Services Center, 21450 Gibralter Dr. #10, Port Charlotte
- Boys and Girls Club Englewood – services to parents of enrolled youth; others by appointment o Monday through Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Gulf Cove United Methodist Church, 1100 S. McCall Rd., Port Charlotte (west)
- Comprehensive Housing Resources – services by appointment
Monday through Friday 9 a.m.- 2 p.m.
Family Services Center, 21450 Gibralter Dr. 2nd Floor, Port Charlotte
941-613-3244, Ext. 1773
- New Operation Cooper Street, Inc. – services to clients and others by appointment
Open during regular school hours; closed when school is closed
650 Mary St., Punta Gorda
- First Impressions Foundation, Inc. – walk-ins welcome
Monday through Friday 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
109 East Olympia Ave., Unit 307, Punta Gorda
- Franz Ross YMCA – services by appointment
Call for appointment during business hours
19333 Quesada Ave., Port Charlotte
- Goodwill Industries – services by appointment
9 a.m.-4 p.m. (closed Wednesday)
Port Charlotte Job-Link Center, 2325 Tamiami Trail, Port Charlotte
- Habitat for Humanity – clients/walk-ins welcome
Monday through Friday 8a.m.-4 p.m.
1750 Manzana Avenue, Punta Gorda
- Homeless Coalition – services to clients/shelter residents/others by appointment
Monday through Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
1476 Kenesaw St., Port Charlotte
941-627-4313, Ext. 126
- Punta Gorda Housing Authority - services to tenants/others by appointment
Monday through Thursday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. (closed Friday)
340 Gulf Breeze Ave., Punta Gorda
- Ebenezer Food Pantry - Walk-ins for English, French and Creole neighbors
Monday-Friday 1 p.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
1057 Collingswood Blvd., Port Charlotte
- Jesus Loves You Ministry - services by appointment
Saturdays 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
1734 Cedarwood Street, Port Charlotte
- Praise Tabernacle Church - walk-ins welcome
Tuesday and Friday 9 a.m.-noon
18350 Edgewater Dr., Port Charlotte
For more information about Charlotte CARES individual financial assistance: how to apply; required documents; hours of operation and contact information for locations offering in-person service; and access to non-COVID related assistance call 2-1-1 (941-205-2161 for Englewood and out-of-area cell phone users) or visit www.charlotte211.net.